Put Down The Cake

With an affinity for anything coated in chocolate, and a struggle to balance both my addiction/ambivalence to exercise, I started this blog to help inspire myself (and hopefully others) to put down the food and get moving. If we lose a few pounds along the way, and create some awesome sweat stains in the process, then the rest is, as they say... cake!

Monday, October 4, 2010

Lunges and Cigarettes

As I was at the gym, and running (gasping for air) on the treadmill a few weeks ago I happened to glance out the window and I saw the most ridiculous sight. I saw a person who had just finished what appeared to be an intense workout (judging by the sweat dispersement) walk out the front door and reach into her gym bag and pop out a cigarette! She lit up for the world to see. Even if I supported smoking, I would feel the shame of the whole fitness world upon me as I puffed.

Is it just me, or does it seem counter intuitive to smoke after a workout? Isn't the whole point of working out to make yourself healthy? I do realize that smoking does have it's own appeal. I hear that it makes you lose weight, and that it's an appetite suppresant, however having lived with a smoker during my youth I cannot see how the advantages outweigh the ugly, stinky, mucous like dark side. Is it just like other's who go to extreme lengths to lose weight? The crazy pills, the extreme diets, the unneccessary weight loss surgery. Is smoking just another means to an end? I guess I'm just old fashioned... Well, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment